Joseph Sherman established his machine shop
in Butler in 1890. Two automobiles were
built in the Butler factory very early in the 20th Century, one owned by the
J.B. Sherman family, the other by the A.E. Russell family.
From an undated clipping of an auto-club run in the Russell car from Butler to
Pittsburgh: "These cars, both 50 horse power, have run throughout
the season, with little or no repairs, and without one serious breakdown.
Members of the party who made the trip say that some of the miles were covered
at a mile a minute clip, and even then the big machine did not seem to be
anywhere near its limit of speed."